Years ago, after a partial engine failure in my G-200, I decided to conduct some tests to determine best-glide speed and glide ratio. I didn't end up capturing as many data points as originally planned, but the numbers were still pretty interesting.
--> If anyone has additional data points, please send them to me and I'll happily include them here.
- The G-200's glide ratio is somewhere between Pitts and Cessna
- The best-glide speed is fast!
- The descent rate is also fast!
- The prop setting makes a tremendous difference, especially at higher airspeed
- Timing and distance are for a 2000' ft descent, starting at 9000' MSL and ending at 7000' (a downside of living in Colorado -- the dirt is more than 5000' above sea level)
- Calm winds aloft
- Gross weight: approx. 1220 lbs.
- Angle-valve IO-360 engine with 10:1 pistons
- 200cm MT prop
|Airspeed (KIAS)||Distance (nm)||Ratio||Time (sec.)||Descent